5 Reasons Selling Without an Agent is a Bad Idea
Do-it-yourself projects are in vogue these days. You can find advice online for everything from
investing in crypto-currency to tearing down the living room wall. When considering the cost
of moving, it’s natural to wonder if real estate commissions are one way to save money, but it
would be a mistake. A good real estate agent might make it seem easy, but the fact is that
selling your own home could actually cost you thousands of dollars.
1. The Safety of Your Home and Family is a Priority – Real Estate agents control access to
2. Most Serious Buyers Start their Search Online – A professional listing area will market
your home aggressively online, which is where the buyers are searching.
3. The Buyer Might not be Qualified – A real estate agent knows how to qualify a buyer
and what to look for with lender letters. Selling your home on your own risks wasted
time with an unqualified buyer.
4. You Don’t Know How to Negotiate Properly – Every aspect of a real estate transaction
is negotiable; you don’t have the experience to know what to negotiate to get the best
5. You Could Expose Yourself to Liability – Required disclosures and paperwork for a
home sale is extensive; unless you plan to use an attorney, you could miss critical
disclosures and expose yourself to financial harm.
Finally, more often than not, sellers net more when they use an agent than when they try to
do it themselves. In addition to selling faster, a professional agent knows how to properly price
and promote your home, ensuring you get the best possible sales price and terms.